Ambition

Ambition
Our 2002 Hylas 46

Saturday, January 14, 2017

All pretty again.......

We we launched Ambition back into the water again on Friday and my my my does she look a LOT prettier than when we took her out!

The bottom has been painted, the hull washed and polished. What a difference a bunch of cash can make! AWESOME.

She is looking good!

So much better than the grass skirt of a few days ago!


Quite the reflection!



Once we were back in water we motored over to the Bight at Normans Island - CLEARLY we have entered high season in the charter business - at 2PM there was barely a mooring ball available! The late arrivers motored around aimlessly expecting an empty mooring ball to pop up from the bottom! Eternal optimists - having hope is good even if fruitless!

I connected the new keel coolers once we got back in the water as per the instructions, with eternal optimism - oh foolish me! OH CRAP ... with the new keep coolers installed and me staring at the digital thermometers - the temperature of both the fridge and the freezer got warmer and warmer ... not a good indication of success! Even when I looked away for 20 minutes the temperature still got warmer! I called the manufacturer in the US and was told that either I connected it incorrectly or "something else went wrong!" No S&%t Sherlock. They did provide the name of their rep here in Tortola which just by coincidence was the same folks that installed the keel coolers.

Fridge Compressor 

Add caption

Freezer connections

Keel Cooler through hull fitting. 











A few emails later and we have an appointment back at Nanny Cay on Sunday to have the technician look at the system and provide a solution - my guess is that the freon charge in the keel coolers was missing and once connected there was not sufficient freon for the system to function properly - we will see Sunday! In the mean time we have reverted back to ice blocks! yes indeed - Old School but it does keep the beers cold!


The two days were not a complete waste of time however, as I did knock off one MAJOR job that I have been avoiding for too long .... I disassembled all 8 winches on board, cleaned them with gasoline and greased and oiled all the little parts - amazing what a little lubrication can do to the performance of metal parts! All are so much smoother now! CHECK another thing off the To Do list ..... now if I could just stop adding stuff at a greater speed than I knock them off .... life would be wonderful and I could sit back and swim and sunbath! No I am not complaining - winter here sure beats winter at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment